Last post on Nov 24, 2013 at 5:10 AM
You are in the Ford Explorer
What is this discussion about?
Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, SUV
#1 of 282 Electrical Problem, battery keeps dying.....
Sep 07, 2006 (8:01 am)
I have a 98 Ford Explorer that I just bought and it is driving me nuts because it is showing the signs of a bad alternator but the alternator seems good.
I can start the car, (sometimes) take the positive cable off the battery and the car stays running. This used to be a test to see if the alternator was good, is it still? This morning the car started fine then as I was driving on the highway the electrical gauge dropped down all the way. I got to work and left the car running. I checked the positive cable and the wires going to that and nothing. I got back in the car and turned on the AC and the electrical gauge went up to normal. Does this sound like a short of some type? Any help would be great. Oh, I also changed the battery and the fusable link and that has not solved it. Thanks Chris
#2 of 282 Re: Electrical Problem, battery keeps dying..... [cdot925]
Oct 09, 2006 (3:06 pm)
I have a 98 Explorer also and one time at the lake the battery went dead and we jump started it and now the clock turns on and off when the vehicle is shut off. and if there is a cd in the player it will pop it out and the suck it back in continuously until the battery is dead. i don't know if the battery needs unhooked then hooked up again, but it really drives me nuts. any suggestions?
#3 of 282 Explorer electrical problem
Oct 16, 2006 (7:34 am)
I have a 96 Ford Explorer (over 135K miles). Recently after filling up the gas tank I attempted to start the vehicle and it was dead. While turning the key I witnessed many of the dashboard lights (check engine, theft, high beams etc.) go on & off, heard a clicking noise and then it died. I continued to hear a clicking noise,both with the key in and out. I tried jump startin it, but got no response at all. My mechanic has put a new battery in, changed the battery cables, checked all fuses (none were blown), replaced the ignition switch and it still is dead. The positive cable to the battery gets very hot, even with the key out of the switch. He is now suspecting a short in the harness which is apparently an expensive undertaking. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
#4 of 282 Re: Explorer electrical problem [leej2day]
Nov 01, 2006 (9:25 am)
We have been having a similar problem. We have a 95 with over 200K miles. The mechanic says it may be the fuel filter or fuel pump needs replacing. Have your mechanic check these options. Good luck!
#5 of 282 Re: Electrical Problem, battery keeps dying..... [cdot925]
Mar 10, 2007 (9:36 pm)
I have the same deal with my 97 Explorer, the voltmeter just dropped, radio went dead, and the interior lights dimmed while i was driving, i havent tried turning the A/c on though. let me know what you find out.
Mar 12, 2007 (11:17 am)
A reporter with a national newspaper is hoping to talk with consumers who have had issues with their batteries going dead for unexplained reasons. Please reply to ctalatiedmunds.com no later than Tuesday, March 13, 2007 with your daytime contact info.
#8 of 282 battery keeps dying
Sep 28, 2007 (9:03 am)
I have a 97 Mountaineer. The battery keeps dying, even if it sits just overnight, but not every time. Sometimes it won't jump start, sometimes it will. I haven't had problems with electrical stuff while I'm driving though. afer reading these postings, I'm afraid to drive it. Did anything ever come of the "reporter from a national newspaper"?
#9 of 282 Re: battery keeps dying [dougalug]
Oct 02, 2007 (1:55 pm)
take your battery out and have it charged and tested,if it test ok,then you ethier have a bad alternator or a drain on the electrical system,the drain will be hard to find for a non tech.,because once you disconnect the battery and then reconnect it, the modules wake - up, they will stay inergized for 20 minutes,that will keep you from finding the circuit that has the drain on it,you need a dc inductive amp meter that will read below 1 amp, .05 of a amp is in spec's,anything more than that is a drain.if your battery is older than 2 years,its a good chance your battery is bad.